Southeastern Wisconsin Information Technology Exchange, Inc. 3401 South 39th Street PO Box 343922, Room FO 237A Milwaukee, WI 53234-3922
What is SWITCH?
SWITCH, which stands for the Southeastern Wisconsin Information Technology Exchange, Inc. is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization set up in the late 1980’s by participating private colleges in the Milwaukee area. Its purpose is to help advance the effective implementation of information technology at its member libraries and institutions and to facilitate cooperative ventures between its member institutions:
- Alverno College
- Cardinal Stritch University
- Concordia University Wisconsin
- Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design
- Mount Mary University
- Sacred Heart Seminary and School of Theology
- St. Francis de Sales Seminary, and
- Wisconsin Lutheran College
These private colleges serve a diverse student body from traditional age, on-campus students to adult non-traditional students spanning a number of states and countries. Read more about our member institutions.
- Here is a list of SWITCH’s current services
- An integrated library automation system with a unified database and a shared online catalog (TOPCAT) using Koha open source software with support from ByWater Solutions.
- Access to the following modules: Acquisitions, Cataloging, Circulation, Reserves, and Serials
- An inter-institutional delivery system that runs Monday-Friday
- Access to remote online databases
- Shared system technical assistance
- Shared staff training and professional development relating to the library system
SWITCH implemented its first library automation system in 1991 (Innovative Interfaces being the company). It stayed with that system for 25 years and in June 2015 it migrated its library database to Koha, an open source system with software support from ByWater Solutions. In January 2019, SWITCH will migrate to Ex Libris Alma / Primo.
In addition to overseeing an integrated library system, SWITCH manages an inter-institutional delivery system that runs Monday-Friday with an excellent 24-48 hour turnaround time. SWITCH also configures and maintains remote access for all of its members’ electronic, licensed resources. The organization hosts OCLC’s EZProxy web servers on behalf of its Class I members so that patron remote authentication is insured.
SWITCH works to support and highlight the library services and collections of its member libraries and institutions. This new mission is to be achieved by:
- Working to better support the facilitation of library services at the SWITCH libraries
- Working to identify improved techniques and staff training opportunities
- Working to increase and improve access to each other’s library collections
- Working to identify ways to showcase the materials owned by the SWITCH libraries
Vacant: Coordinator of Services – the contact for office operations, the ILS, staff training, Web Opac and professional development issues
Jason Palmer: Systems Integration Specialist – Jason is the systems & network administration contact